27 October 2008

MORE ROOM FOR OSCAR!
For about a year our family has consistently been putting out our rubbish bins(aka trash cans) at the curb every Monday with ONE SOLITARY kitchen bag full of trash inside! We finally wised up and ordered the smallest bin available and honestly I have to say it felt good. Our recycling bin is another story...we only have pick up once every two weeks and by that time it is overflowing...which makes me wonder...if people don't recycle, then exactly HOW MUCH trash is being put into our landfills? It's second nature to us now, and Piper is an ACTIVE participant in our recycling program. We're going to try hard this year to buy Christmas gifts with less packaging...lets see if we can pull that one off!

5 comments:

kitchu said...

that's an excellent idea (xmas)... i recycle myself but my trashcan is still at least half full and there's only ONE of me...??

insanemommy said...

We are big recyclers. As for the holdidays not big on excess there either. Should be no surprise....:)

Debra said...

How do you trash so little. We recycle but still have a full bin. It always disturbs me....although I know come February there'll be no diapers in that bin!!

Snowflowers Mum said...

we have so little trash because we recycle almost everything! Minnesotans recycle 40% of their waste (I found this out today), so we are in good company. We use Gdiapers - the liners can be flushed or composted! So we never throw away 'diapers', and Paisley uses the potty 80% of the time.

Other than that, I am careful of what I buy and how it is packaged.

Debra said...

I'm tossed between gdiapers and cloth. My mom keeps making the case for cloth as she doesn't like the flush aspect of the g's, says they still get into the open waters. Although glad she is making an argument against disposables. I was so sure she would try and talk me out of my decision, turns out she was very well informed...way to go Mom.