09 May 2008

SHAME SHAME SHAME
SHAME ON YOU!
You have got to be kidding me! How did this get past the executives at NBC?
Apparently NBC is holding a Mother's Day Special hosted by Donny & Marie where they will accept nominations and crown a special 'Mom', sounds good so far huh...um, well...not really...they have classified Adoptive Moms in the 'Non-Mom' category??? What the F*#?!
Sorry guys...but what on earth possessed them to classify millions of adoptive parents as NON-MOMS? What does this make my beautiful daughters? I know Piper and Paisley are too young to understand this just yet, by I know first hand of children who saw the promo for the show and are devastated because their Mom is classified by NBC on this pissarse television show as NON MOMS!
SHAME SHAME SHAME
and shame on Marie Osmond who is an adoptive parent, how could she participate in this show knowing what she does!
I complained to NBC, I suspect they will be getting thousands of similar emails...and just for good measure I emailed Adoptive Families Magazine to let them know.
I am beyond shocked, I am furious!
if this bugs you too...an email to Donny, Marie and NBC might help!
UPDATE: as of 5pm-ish today the wording is changed on the website, instead of saying non-mom moms it says adoptive moms...I still think we shouldn't be a separate category, but at this point I'm happy it is at least changed. Here is the statemet from the shows sponsor Teleflora, as it appears on the website.

"Teleflora is immediately changing the name of our "Non-Mom" category to "Adopting Moms". After closer examination, we can see how this may have been offensive to moms who have adopted children -- moms who are indeed real moms to their children in every sense of the word. In fact, many of us at Teleflora are “adopting” parents ourselves, including our president and owner. The essence of this category still focuses on a grandparent, neighbor, step mom, or mom to adopted or foster children, each one raising and loving a child. This show of insensitivity on our part was in no way intended and we deeply apologize for any concern or distress we may have caused. It was always our intent to salute and celebrate all moms."

22 comments:

Debra said...

Oh my God I am appalled!! I saw the one the other day about army Moms and thought about what the adoptive Moms might be like. I'd love to show them, actually I might, the beautiful letter from my foster, some day adoptive daughter about how for the first time she has a Mom and what a Mom is......oh I am soo mad. Thanks for bringing this up Hayley.....I missed this today as I was busy doing Mom things for my, I guess what they'd call 'non kids'
Ugh....some of you guys out there are among the best Moms I know of.

Julie said...

cAwesome post. I wish I was as eloquent as others are in the Lounge. This post is perfect. I hope they get flooded with emails.

Kayce said...

I sent my email off just now!! And so did my mom who doesn't appreciate being a "non grandmother".

bamboosprouts said...

Can this be true? Oh my. :(

kitchu said...

Wish I'd heard of this in the AM...glad they changed the wording,but what we really need is a HUGE public apology.

Jackholes.

Mrs. U said...

This disgusts me. I cannot believe that we have to be known as "adopting moms" instead of just regular moms!!!!!!! I am emailing NBC right now. Thank you for sharing this!

His,
Mrs. U

Amy said...

That is outrageous! Moms are MOMS, they don't need classifications. Happy Mother's Day, btw.

park it said...

I am VERY excited to see it has be "modified"
Go get em!!!

Maia said...

Yes, how is it that our country is still in "the dark ages" when it comes to their understanding of adoption? Even now? Seems unthinkable. Good for you for all your campaigning to abolish this ignorance.

And a very happy mother's day weekend to you, new mama of two!! Hugs - M.

Susan said...

Good for you!! That is unbelievable especially w/ Marie O hosting it as you stated! Thanks for taking the time to post this and make others aware. Hope your baby is MUCH better now that 'lumpy' is gone!! :)

bamboosprouts said...

So we are still in the same category as NEIGHBORS? I am not happy with that "solution" at all.

Chelley said...

I am appalled!! And disgusted!

~Samantha~ said...

Thanks for the info, sending my email now. Beautiful children by the way!

Alyson and Ford said...

They should have called the "real" Mom's category "Bio Mom's" if they had to have all the different categories! Why put adoption in with other Mom's like grandparents and "Steppers". I have been stepping for 23 years and understand the labels I was called since I was not their "real" Mom... but Adoption is the real thing!! Adoption should be with the real Mom's not singled out and the others like Fostering, Grandparents should be under the "Foster Parenting-Mom's" (being a Step-Mom is more like these).
Who could have missed this - someone was asleep at the wheel!!
JMHO.

Alyson LID 01/27/06

Heather said...

I saw this and was also angered. I don't know what moron thought up this category, but he or she obviously didn't think it through. I wrote NBC, but I doubt I will ever get a response from a real person.

JoAnn in NJ said...

Great job Hailey!
I also wrote a post on my blog urging folks to BOYCOTT those sponsors...

It's a stupid contest anyway.

Carrie said...

What a joke those people are! I am so sorry for all the adoptive Mothers who have to put up with that crap! I guess I am have half and half Mom? well have to call them and ask!

Jill said...

As an adoptive mother to my REAL child, I will make sure to NEVER give my business to Teleflora, or ather associating bussinesses!

Anonymous said...

I'm not excusing what NBC did but I find it hard to believe that Marie Osmond knew the detail down to that level of what they were doing, otherwise I don't think she would be associated with it. In a recent Larry King Live interview they were discussing her son who was having trouble at the time and Larry King asked her if this was one of the adopted ones, and she said, "I don't remember." She refuses to distinguish between her bio and adopted children. I think it's possible that she agreed and they didn't run the categories by her. Just a thought.

Stephanie said...

Pathetic...though I have to totally DISAGREE with Alyson & Ford on the Step-Mom thing. I'm a step-mom to three and *I'm* the Mom. They live with me...I cook, clean, handle all school, MD and dental appointments, sign permission slips etc, etc, etc....as far as I'm concerned, I'M the MOM. Being a Step-parent CAN be the real thing too...I resent being dumped in the "non-parent" category based on your personal experience of Step-parenting. My step-kids get parented just the same as, and right along with our 2 from China. No difference.

Snowflowers Mum said...

on the Marie Osmond thing, she has 'people', it's their jobs to run this stuff past her...however, seeing that it's such a huge TV presentation I'd be surprised if she herself didnt see the catagory, it was RIGHT THERE on the website under her picture?

JMCS said...

I am so pissed off....