11 June 2008


need I say more?
thanks Kris, this made my night!
Gas is over $4 a gallon, and I'm pretty sure we'll look back at this in a year or so and wish for the good old days of '08! Admittedly, gas is still quite a bit cheaper here in the States than in other countries, but it still hurts. What are we doing to conserve? Well, we drive more conservatively, plan our errands so that we dont make repeat journeys...frankly, we drive a heck of a lot less than we used to. We both have AWD vehicles, which in themselves require a little more gas, no, we dont have giant SUV's, Mike has a sedan and I have a Subaru Forester, we don't feel comfortable giving up the safety of the AWD in the snow and ice of Minnesota. We buy as little plastic(petroleum based) products as we can, try to buy sustainable products and watch our carbon footprint(we arent diehards yet but we take note of what our consumption and waste is). Mike has taken the lead, he used to 'follow' my tendency towards organics and locally produced food but now Mike is the green leader in this house! When we buy produce we dont rip off a plastic bag to place the food in, we put it in a reusable bag, and we re-bag it at the checkout...sure we get a few funny looks but I dont want to throw any more plastic bags into our landfills...it's like throwing gas back into the ground(after all many plastics are made from petroleum!)
Mike is also keen on doing things around the house as environmentally soundly as possible...getting rid of the gas powered weed wacker in favor of a good old fashioned manual edger. I swear he'd have solar panels on the house if it made sense financially to do it! The cool thing is that the girls are growing up with this knowledge, Piper already asks what 'Organic' means...so she will know as she grows that there are ways to live without the chemicals that pollute our planet.
So my friends, it's not just about gasoline, it's about the future.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Seriously. These gas prices are KILLING me and I have clients in Albany all summer...sigh.

Chelley said...

it is a worry when will it slow down!! hmmm I tihnk I am going to have to make holes in the floor of my car and push it like the Flinstones do!

Anonymous said...

I drive 100 miles each day. I am pissed about gas prices.

As for the hippie dippy stuff, I am doing my best to not screw up the universe. Glad you are as well.

Patricia said...

AMEN!! We ditched our car long ago - easy for me to say, though since we don't really need one! ;)

You know the "tre chic chic" thing in NYC right now is to carry your own grocery tote to the supermarkets...there are all kinds of cool ones out there...I know you guys have done this already, but NYC FINALLY caught on! ;)

Mamacita said...

So, so true.

The checkers hate it when I put all my fruits and veggies in one plastic bag and they have to separate them to weigh them. Sometimes I buy 7 to 10 different items. I'm not going to separate them into 7 to 10 different bags!! Are you kidding?

Keep up the good work.

I'm wanting a Smart car now just for errands. I have an AWD for the bad weather too and I'm not giving it up. It gets around 20 in town but gets better (around 27) on the highway.

James Michael said...

I found a site online to make your own oil rig at home. Seems there is plenty of oil just below our own feet. I started assembling it last month and so far have started pumping a few gallons of oil that I am learning to refine on my own. Aside from a few minor spills, its been fun.

Unfortunately the price of gas has very little to do with our dependence on oil. Like the smoker who is willing to pay any price for a pack of butts, americans are willing to pay any price for gas. We have had it made for decades compared to Europe and even Canada. Guess the idea of drilling for oil in ANWR was not such a bad one. Hey, I was an environmentalist.

Carrie said...

I missed this one-too funny!
Carrie

insanemommy said...

I'm so with you on doing our part. But as far as other countries paying a whole lot more for their gas, well they actually get something for it. They pre-pay for their kids education. That's right. They're not hit with worrying about how they're going to send their children to college. I wouldn't be grumbling so much if I knew that it was going to my kids education. AND also a lot of those other countries don't pay for health care either. We have over 46 million people in this country who have no health care. I wouldn't be so ticked off about the whole gas thing if I thought it was for a good cause, But it's not! It's called greed. The rich getting richer at the expense of middle america/poor. Makes me sick.

Snowflowers Mum said...

I agree...thats why I think we are exceptionaly lucky that our girls will have the option to go to University in NZ...since tehy will have duel citizenship...at least the higher taxes subsidizes education there!

yep, the rich get richer, the poor stay poor and the middle class have to bend over and get....well, you get the picture