03 February 2008

where does all the poo go?

Last week we bought what I am sure is our first of many 'mega' boxes of diapers! Mike's apparent enthusiasm for the re-emergence of all things poop was clearly showing on his face as we struggled to control our cart through the mammoth aisles of our local GIGANTIC-co! To be honest, I've changed enough diapers in my 18 years of Nannying that it really doesnt phase me at all! However, I have to admit we hit the lucky streak with Piper, who refused to poop in her diaper from the seasoned old age of 12 months old! Just another five months later and she was completely potty trained...so lets just say, we were uber-lucky on the poo front! I also have to admit that I use disposable diapers...I just can't do cloth diapers...I hang my head in shame when I admit that, but I can't...I wont...well, not if I dont have to! So, instead I potty train early...there's a few secrets (and a lot of intuition!) I use, mostly just experience from my profession, but I figure if my girls use them for 'less' time then I can feel just a little less guilty about the havoc these poo filled bombs do to our fragile environment!

I believe our carbon footprint will triple in the next year, but we'll try to offset it by planting some trees, buying local produce and meats, using non-toxic cleaners and generally being savvy green consumers. But...I hope you will all forgive me for my environmental faux pas...I am usually so so good!

2 comments:

kitchu said...

Future single mom = disposable diapers, hands down.

I can green it up all sorts a ways, but that is not one of them for me!

Can't wait to see that new pooper in your arms :O)

Michelle said...

Lurker turned commenter :)
Have you seen these:
http://www.gdiapers.com/

My sil is going to try them and see how they work! Thankfully, my kiddos are out of diapers!! Good Luck!