02 August 2008


Chiggers?
It's hot in Minnesota right now, pleasantly hot. For a State that has a good 6+ months of winter I think we deserve days like these. We're also lucky enough to have over 14000 lakes in Minnesota, not that I'm all that fond of Lake swimming under normal circumstances, but last week someone told me about these little creatures, much to my horror. Chiggers are rampant in the lakes right now, so my girls will have to quench their need for cooling off in their tiny paddling pool on our front sidewalk(I know I know, I can hear the banjo's playing too)..last year we belonged to our local gym where they have the most amazing outdoor swimming pool, this year it isnt in our budget. So...how do you keep two grownups and two kids happy in the heat of the summer? Lets just say, I'd rather the four of us sweat than have ten thousand chiggers bitng our bits and pieces, spitting their liquifying enzymes into our flesh so they can slurp up 'soup du snowflower!'
Bugger off!

6 comments:

OziMum said...

Well its been a looong time since I've swung by! I kind of lost you when you changed sites!

I'm assuming Chiggers are like mites? Sounds horrendous!

Running through a sprinkler seems to satisfy, many an Australian kiddy!!!

Anonymous said...

Ewww. Sounds worse then having Gremlins in your closet.

Dawn S. said...

I am so surprised to hear this! We live in the cities and have been swimming all the time! Are you sure about this info? I tried to find info on it from the MN DNR site and can't find anything on it.

Snowflowers Mum said...

yup...the neighbors kids came home with chiggers. Perhaps they are just in a few lakes here and there, but I'm not taking any chances. I'd rather swim with sharks.

Deb said...

YIKES!...so far so good here....no Chiggers....at least not yet....been in Harriet and Minnetonka....
hmmmmm....

Tamara said...

I had no clue they even had chiggers in Minnesota. I whine annually about them here. My first time weeding in the summer I got over 100 bites, which is just nasty.

Noxious chemicals like DEET do work to keep them off, but better avoided if you can.