03 November 2008

ONE MORE DAY!
...and I cannot sleep. I feel like I am perpetually holding my breath waiting for election day when I will be able to either exhale, or....well, lets not think about the other option!
I saw an interesting show last night where some good points were raised about the state of the election and what we can do to make voting easier for all involved. What troubles me about the current situation is that many Americans do not have the ability to take time off work to stand in line for 4-6 hours waiting to vote so I think it sets itself up for unfairness...and this is a bipartisan issue. Here's some of the ideas that were discussed that I like the sound of....
1. Election Day should be on a weekend, like MOST other major Democratic Nations, if not, then there should be early voting in ALL 50 States and at least one of the early voting days should be on a weekend.
2. Voting machines....should either be the same country wide or we should use paper ballots and a #2 pencil....once again, this tried and true method works for a lot of other Democratic Nations!
3. The campaign period needs to be shorter...6 months sounds more than adequate.
4. No Television Ads....NONE! I think that the candidates should get the chance to debate more often in the campaign period, and also have small 15-30 minute television slots to talk about specific issues...ie; each week they get to address their particular Parties policies.
5. STOP THE ROBOCALLS

3 comments:

kitchu said...

oh GOD yes stop the freaking CALLLLLLSSSSSS!! i hate those calls!!!!!!!!

the mommy said...

I just have to say I LOVE your blog. Your political views, your children and its design area all great...

Brownie Troop 157 said...

Unfortunately, this is not a bipartisan issue. Its in the gop's best interest to keep the working man and woman away from the polls. Look what they're doing in this election: flyers with the wrong date to vote, colleges saying that students financial aid could be cut off or they could be expelled for failing to vote in their "home" district, etc.

I think these tactics border on the criminal, and someone needs to look into it.