05 February 2009

MOTHER SUCKER!

So...you've probably guessed by the picture above that we are the proud new owners of what seems like the worlds most expensive vacuum cleaner! We 'agreed' to a demonstration because our next door neighbor who is also Piper's Principal referred us to the sales people for this particular brand of household sucker. I'm a cynic, I always have been...I question EVERYTHING. However, I remember friends in California owned one of these, and it was great...so hey, I thought why not, lets give the poor sod a break and let him clean our carpet for free and we'll be done.

NOT SO FAST!

The sales guy turned up at 1.30 in the afternoon...he showed me all the nifty gadgets and solid craftsmanship and warbled on about the amazing warranty and to be honest, I can sift the wheat from the chaff so I gleamed the useful information from the sales banter...and before you knew it it was 4.45! Yep, three hours had passed! Mike came home early to take Piper to ballet and the guy was still in our house...salivating that the 'breadwinner' had now arrived! Of course Mike is no pushover, he is a shrewd and calm customer who actually deals with Salespeople most of his day, so he's all too familiar with the 'A.B.C.' pitch. Funnily enough...Mike took a wee trip down memory lane and told me of all the times the 'Kirby' salesperson had done demonstrations for his Mom & Dad when he was a nipper....and how he knew his Mom had wanted one but it was 'never the right time'. So...after a few more hours...yes HOURS...we got ourselves a Kirby! We did a triple trade...our 9 year old Kenmore, a 5 year old Bissel steam cleaner and a set of JBL speakers and center channel(which Mike had been planning to sell)...so we dropped the list price by more than 50%!

Now don't get me wrong...this isn't exactly the 'right time' for us to be making a purchase like this, but our vacuum was nearing it's final days and the conversation about a new one had already taken place. We feel buying a quality item that will last us until our kids go to college is a better investment than buying several lower quality ones in the same amount of time..it's a recycling thing.

Mike just hopes this makes me want to vacuum!

you would not believe the CRAP that that thing got out of our carpet!

8 comments:

Carol said...

we did that most expensive vac thing awhile back, worth it though.

Thought you might like this adoption tee at http://oatsvallteam.blogspot.com/

have a great day.

The Oetjen Crew said...

You have elevated yourselves to a new level with Reid ;) He is the Vacuum Cleaner King and we have been the proud owner of a Kirby for 10 years. It is his prized possession!

I can only use it with close supervision...(which is a good thing if you ask me!).

Casey said...

Hmmm... I might have to look into this....

Michele said...

You can come over and vacuum my carpets any time you like. For free.

Carrie said...

glad to hear you got a deal!

Rubber Ducky Chronicles said...

We bought one of these 5 years ago from a neighbor who began selling them and needed a break. We LOVE our KIRBY and will never go back! It is TOTALLY worth it! It is a lot of $$$ and I choke each time I look at our old receipt, but we will never go back with a cheapo. It pays itself off, especially with all the attachments and carpet cleaner.

JMCS said...

Glad you got a super sucker vacuum cleaner. Keep us updated on how much you love it.

hugs,
Jonni
:)

insanemommy said...

Ha ha ha. My husband knows there is nooooooo way I would use it. I'd like to own it, but I would not use it...... ha ha. Good for you though! :)