23 January 2009

NO TO SCHOOL BUSES!Just last week Mike and I were having the conversation about whether or not we felt comfortable letting Piper ride the school bus. My first question was "do they have seat belts?"...and when I found out they don't my mind was made up. Then last night on the news we saw this...and that cemented our thoughts...our kids will not ride the school bus...at least not until they are at high school. I cannot believe it is not FEDERALLY mandated to have seat belts on school transportation. This is awful! To make matters worse, I think living in an area where inclement weather is the norm, that these precautions would be a priority. So..guess who will be driving Piper to her first field trip on Tuesday!

10 comments:

Lost and Found said...

Maybe we need to make this our campaign as parents. I'm in!

Patricia said...

I am SOOOOO with you!!!
I am not letting Kiara participate in ice skating lessons in Central Park because they will be riding a bus to & from...without parents...not happenin'!! Not to mention the potential for disaster with 4 yr. olds on the ICE!!!!

We just had an incident here last night in Chinatown...a PreK class was walking to the library with their teachers, & a woman was driving, lost control of the car, hit the kids killing two of them...horrific tragedy...

Carrie said...

Yes I did drive my kids to school and I do agree they should have seat belts on school buses! Funny how they require a seat bealt in your car and a car seat under 4 foot 9 but not seat bealt in a bus????????????

Jennifer said...

Wow! What a scary picture! I totally agree with you! I am a teacher and taught in Michigan the first 11 of my 13 years teaching. We did not have seat belts and it always bothered me!! Now I teach in TX and we do have seat belts. The first field trip we took this year I was thrilled about this. It is also mandatory that the kids wear seat belts here.

I honestly could never drive a bus full of kids. It is just too much for one person to handle. The distractions they must deal with are crazy. When we have kids we will definitely not let them ride the bus!!

Jodi and Dennis said...

I am in too! You are such a riot. Good for you.

Amy said...

Wow. We don't let Aidan ride the bus either but they do have seatbelts in the school buses here.

Michele said...

I totally agree, they should be federally mandated. We are a ways from riding the school bus but I'm going to find out if ours has seat belts. If not, maybe they will by the time it is our turn.

kitchu said...

my whole life i've thought this incredible strange. makes NO sense whatsoever.

James Michael said...

I cannot believe there is no seat belt law either, it blows my mind.

bytheriver said...

Agreed - I am moving on up to the 5-point booster carseat, why would I want my kid to ride in a bus with metal seats and no seat belts to kindergarten?