16 June 2007

WHATS IN A NAME?



When we chose Piper's name it was on a list of about five names that we kept throwing around, would she be a 'Lucy', a 'Paige' or a 'Piper'. Piper just kept coming to the top of the list, over and over, so we decided on her name and set to task of finding a middle name. Now in the world of China adoption, many families give the child their Chinese name as a middle name, in honor of their heritage. When Mike & I found out that Piper's Chinese name Qu, LeSi was in fact VERY difficult to pronounce (it's the Si part, sounds like tsr...quite difficult for our tongues to grasp), we decided to honor her Chinese name in a different way and give her a 'family' name instead. So Piper became Piper Lily Hannah Hoppe, the Lily Hannah being my great grandmothers name. We had a calligrapher in China paint Pipers Chinese name on a rice paper scroll for her to keep, hence the 'honoring' of her Chinese name.

So why do we have the picture above??? Because it's time to let you know we have picked the name of Piper's sister, we don't know when she will join our family, it might be 2008 or 2009 or worst case it could be 2010! We just don't know. One thing we do know is her new name, in a world of uncertainty it's nice to have something tangible to hold onto.

This time Mike and I had less discussions about names, he quickly vetoed a few of my choices, he didn't even give Jemima a chance, or Camilla, or Jemma. We briefly discussed Penny (Mike's grandmothers nickname) and Paige, but firmly rested on ...

PAISLEY, actually 'Paisley Rose' (Rose is after my mother Rosemary)...

We thought it was quite different, almost a cross between Paige and Daisy, two of our favorites. As it turns out through the world of adoption blogging there is another family in Texas who just received their referral for a little girl they too have named Paisley! We are in good company!

6 comments:

Holly said...

Oh I love that name! Piper and Paisley. The names sounds very cute together. Oh and by the way, what is the name of the song on your blog? I really like it. If you can please leave a comment on my blog. Thanks!

www.hollysmeimei.blogspot.com

kitchu said...

Well you know you've always had my vote on this name- hence my hunt for the perfect "squish" that was inspired by her name :O)

K. said...

Hayley- I just sent you an email through the group. I hope just you get it and not the whole group, as I will give away the secret! xoxo
I couldn't find your email address except through the group.

I also sent a card off in the mail to you yesterday as well. I have so much to say to you and so many thanks to express!

Love,
Kerrie

James Michael said...

I love it! Man, I wish I had thought of that. I think it is just a wonderful name.....

Alana said...

love it love it! and tell your hubby that I think his ink ROCKS!
Alana

JMCS said...

Beautiful! I love Piper and Paisley. Great name choices.

Hugs,
Jonni
:)