13 July 2007

My project for the last few months has been to tidy up the office in preparation for turning it into Piper's 'big girl' bedroom. It's pretty much a hellhole. Papers scattered, piles everywhere...a disaster.

We really never got 'settled' after our move from Vermont, the day we purchased the house we had the carpet cleaners in...long story, but what we discovered under layers of 'febreeze' turned our stomachs and we had to rip up the entire top floor carpeting and prime and seal coat the sub floor. We had to wait a couple weeks for the carpet installers to come, reschedule the movers to deliver later (they actually came before the carpet was laid so we ended up with everything on the main level...and no room to move!)

We rushed to get our Homestudy update done in time for Piper's referral, which meant a Social Worker came to our home...she did, and she saw how upside down everything was, yet she knew we'd only been in the house a week and encountered a few hiccups, so she was kind and completed the update at lightening speed.

A few short weeks later we got the phone call...y'know THE phone call...and we saw Piper's face for the first time! Later that evening, drunk with love for our new child we were hit with one of the worst hail storms I have ever seen...causing over $35,000 of damage to our house and cars (the cars were NOT in the garage, boxes of our stuff were because we were still in upheaval from the carpet fiasco!)..talk about having one foot in joy, the other in sorrow.

Seven weeks later we travelled to China to get Piper...and the reason why we haven't fixed the office is the two and a half foot tornado we all love and adore.

so...there it is...a confession, my office is a DISASTER..an embarrassing disaster of monumental proportions. This weekend I will attempt to tidy it...but like many projects it may take weeks, perhaps months.

I need help. How do I turn this bomb site into a pretty toddlers room?

but, in one of the piles filed along the wall I found some old photos my sister sent me a while back...they bought back some memories I had long forgotten.

here are a few....

5 comments:

Gail said...

At least you have a good excuse. My office is messy and I have been in this home for 8 years.
Gail

Carol said...

Do you have a shredder? Keep tax returns and shred everything else!

Lauren said...

I cant wait to see how Piper's room turns out!

Gracie said...

Cant wait to see the new room!

JoAnn in NJ said...

Amen!
Can you believe i had to have the same conversation with my MOTHER today? She said it about some one else's adopted daughter and thought it was okay because she was talking to her daugther. I told her that she had to get on the right adoption speak bandwagon right now because it pisses me off when she says stuff like "she's like your real child!"

I think I hit home though because I told her that as soon as Kelsey is older it will hurt her to hear that....hopefully that gets through. I know she loves our daughter very much...she just has to phrase it better.

I can't wait to see how Piper's room turns out too!

Take care!
JoAnn in NJ