29 September 2008

PIPER'S FAVORITE BOOK
On Sunday, we visited one of our favorite little independent book stores in Minneapolis...it's a cute bookstore, perfectly designed for little ones, from the cats, roosters and chinchillas that reside alongside Harry the Dirty dog, and Pippi Longstockings, to the wee purple door within the larger grown up door that opens to admit only the pint sized lovers of the written word.
Once there, we gave Piper a mission, to find a book...any book...her choice...
at one point, a new addition to the Charlie & Lola family caught her eye, but then...she saw this book, and asked to see it...perhaps because there is a little girl on the cover who looks like her? or perhaps because she recognized the illustrations(she has another book illustrated by the same person)...but personally I like to think because it spoke to her from the shelf...whispered, "pick me, choose me, love me"(sorry, I snagged that line from Grey's Anatomy)
This is Piper's new favorite book...by Archbishop Desmond Tutu! It's self explanatory, but speaks of the truest love of all...it doesn't judge you for your path to GOD, it embraces all the children..no matter what color, religion, size or shape.
This...while simple in text..is pure in every sense of it's message.
Piper, enamoured, sleeps with God's Dream under her pillow.
Now isn't that the best review you could hope for.

9 comments:

James Michael said...

We always enjoy a good "book pick" and will have to check this one out.

Lisa and Tate said...

I will have to get this book! What a great seal of approval for a great book when a child sleeps with it under their pillow!

Deb said...

Sounds like you guys were back in our neck of the woods at Sophie's favorite bookstore! I have seen that book and love it too! Great choice Piper!!

Laurie said...

I saw that one at a bookstore this week. It is a beautiful book.

Patricia said...

Love it!! I'm off to the bookstore!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good book. I like the idea of letting her pick.

kitchu said...

oh i will have to check this one out!

James Michael said...

I am so impressed she chose this one over her Charlie and Lola selection. She is one special girl, with a wonderful heart, I think she is going to go one and do GREAT things.
Shelby

Calico Sky said...

aah, i loved you all the more when i read that all important word "indpendent" ;)