17 September 2008

W O O F
Guess who turned up at our house today...for about the tenth time this summer...Animal control! Yep, someone has a bee up their arse about our dog Olive...I think I know who is calling in the complaints...a new neighbor behind us that moved in...three months ago...guess when the complaints started?...three months ago! Now we've lived here 3.5 years and never had a single complaint or issue. Our dog is only outside when we are home, she is crated when we leave the house and quite frankly I am getting PISSED OFF! Yes, she barks...but not more than your average dog, she'll bark if someone rings our doorbell, or if the UPS man delivers a package to the neighbors house, but if she is outside(remember she only goes out when we are home) and starts to bark at the postman, UPS guy etc we will open the backdoor and ask her to come inside, total bark time....um...never more than 60-90 seconds max! All the calls are anonymous, no formal complaint..which is also pissing me off, because we have called the City to ask for mediation because quite frankly having so many 'police' visits to our home is becoming tiresome. I'm so sick of this. Also, just a note, the Animal Officer has sat in our cul de sac numerous times and never heard anything, she has also asked all our neighbors and they have no issues, it is the new people behind us I'm sure! Well, if they don't have the decency to make a complaint or agree to mediation then frankly I say 'bark and let bark'!

11 comments:

Amy said...

How ANNOYING. I'm so sorry I haven't called you back. Things have been nuts with work. I'll be home on Friday though, only one new potential client meeting in morning so if you want to catch up that day give me a call.

Ashley and Mike said...

Poor Olive. I think you should wrap up a nice pretty "Olive Package" and put in on their doorstep.

Calico Sky said...

BLEEP!

Denise Grover Swank said...

Oh my! I had something like that happen before I moved this past June. When we were in Tennessee I had a neighbor hand my FOUR YEAR OLD a note and told her to give it to her mommy. It was a TWO PAGE letter telling me how insensitive I was to let my dog bark. That there were sleeping babies and pregnant women in the neighborhood. I was furious, knew who it was although the woman didn't think I did. I started to write her a nasty note back but decided to let it go. (I also apologized to my next door neighbors if my dog had bothered them and they both told me they were never bothered by my dog)

Fast forward a few months to a couple of days before I was moving. The woman stopped me as I was driving by and somehow or another it clicked to her that it was ME she had written the note to and she was horrified that I knew! She begged me to let her bring me dinner, please let her help me with anything, she wished I wasn't moving because she just KNEW we would have been the bestest of friends. Totally wierd. In the end I figured her embarrassment was a better punishment than any note I could have given her.

I hope that you get some kind of similar "revenge!"

Denise

Ramona said...

Omigosh! Do you want to borrow our two beagles for a while so your neighbors can experience some REAL barking? Really! I mean it! I'll find a way to send them on the plane with Kris! (Can't neighbors be the worst?)

Lost and Found said...

Oh is she cute or what?

fourlittlehawks said...

Now this post actually strikes close to home.
We've got the opposite problem - TWO sets of neighbors with dogs that bark all the live long day and sometimes night, too. It's been especially bad this summer, when we'd love to sleep with our windows open and enjoy the cool night air, but can't. Dh works nights and has a rough time sleeping through the racket all day. We finally broke down and said something to them, and guess what? They are super pissed at us.
Yep, we're the a**holes!
Now that's a concept I can't quite grasp - their dogs keep me up all night, and dh all day, and somehow I'm a jerk for asking them to pretty please be a responsible and considerate pet owners? We have two dogs and would NEVER allow them to disturb our neighbors - and if somehow they did, I'd actually WANT to know. Guess I'm just considerate like that.
Hmmmmm . . .
Neighbors really can suck, that's for sure!
~ Jen

Snowflowers Mum said...

Jen,
I feel for you, but in our case, our dog NEVER barks at night, she sleeps inside with us, and pretty much from the hours of 9pm-8am she is cozy in our home! We just had a guest stay, and she told us Olive was far quieter than most dogs. I think there is a reasonable amount of barking that is acceptable, and definately not during evening hours unless disturbed by a robber, I think our new neighbors are being unreasonable.

fourlittlehawks said...

Oh, I totally agree they are being unreasonable. I was just commiserating as a fellow warrior on the "stupid neighbor" battlefront. Dogs bark, and when you live in a neighborhood with other people - you're gonna hear dogs barking every now and again! It's so odd to me that they would take the time and effort to go to all these lengths when there obviously isn't a valid reason. Unless --- ooooohhh I just thought of something - what if they're Republicans?!?
Maybe Olive is just a pawn in a much more sinister game! Trying to kill your Obama spirit by creating unwanted stress in your home. I think I've hit on the bigger picture here. ;)
I have to say I just love your blog, your girls are amazing and you have such a sweet family!
~ Jen

Snowflowers Mum said...

hmmm...Obama haters? well we di live in a red neighborhood! however, the signs just went up today, so I don't think they knew we were so blue.

good theory though

I agree, people suck

Cavatica said...

Ruff ruff!