01 October 2008

SUBURBAN HELL
warning : foul language to follow..if you would rather not experience it, please don't read any further, I will post something sweeter tomorrow which might be more palatable for those with delicate constitutions
We're living the dream! Guess who ended up at our door at 5.45pm tonight? C'mon, it's not hard to guess...we've done this before...
The lovely Sheriff of Nottingham and his Henchmen aka Animal Control
NO FUCKING WAY...YES FUCKING WAY!
Here's the funny part...I've been home pretty much all day, except for 2 hours when I took Piper to Chinese School. Olive had been in and out of the back yard most of the day and had spent the previous hour laying down and enjoying the last of the summer sun when she started barking...in the time it took me to scoop up Paisley and head up one flight of stairs and open the door, I had Olive inside. The total amount of bark time was probably less that 1 minute MAX! 45 seconds later I find out the reason she was barking...ding dong...there were THREE Police cruisers in our street in front of our house...THREE...you'd think we were planning the next Jihad or something!
Wait...wait...the really neat fun stuff comes next....
The Sheriff tells us that the 'complainant' is so angry at Olive barking that they are ready to make a citizens arrest...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!
Then...we finally find out(after we'd asked on every other occasion) that the complainers are our NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS!
We rarely talk to them, but are always cordial, but for the past 12-18 months the Mom has been avoiding eye contact and we rarely see her.
So...now here's the crazy stuff...they have two dogs that BARK all the time! In fact when the Sheriff came over before we asked if the person could be confusing us with our neighbors because they leave their dogs out at night and year round even in the winter, and the big dog howls like a wolf as it sits on her doghouse roof in her pen, which happens to be 12 feet from our bedroom window! We have even broken the ice on her water in the winter because we were worried about her not having water during the day!
Their dog by the way has bitten several kids in the neighborhood in the past few years but no one has ever made a big deal about it!
We've lived here 3.5 years and it's only been an issue for the last 3 months?
There's gotta be something else going on
I know someone reported their teenage son for reckless driving, but it wasn't us
hmmm...curiouser and curiouser
oh, and they told the cops they'd tried to talk to us about it!...I said "really, so why on earth would I have asked you if the complainants lived behind us and possibly got us and our next door neighbors dogs mixed up?"....they agreed that our neighbors probably hadn't talked to us....no shit Sherlock!

13 comments:

bytheriver said...

Must admit this is a wierd one! Initially, I'd say it must be some other dog, but the rest of the story suggests just wierd. Any drug use in their lives? Son doing more than reckless driving -driving them crazy? Why the 3 patrol cars???? Citizen's arrest? Ever thought about moving? - not a good economy for that.

James Michael said...

I say you get a giant spotlight and shine it into their windows at night. And maybe you can toss a few flaming shit bombs over into their yard once in a while. Unbelievable. I would file a restraining order on them and a harassment charge, just to get them to leave you alone.

Miguel

Patricia said...

PLEASE get yourselves on a plane to NYC...RIGHT NOW!!!!

insanemommy said...

Ok. That is some weird ass shit. As a dog lover I would be calling animal control on them for leaving their animals out in inclement weather without proper food and shelter. That's me though. lol.

p.s. Are there no dogs in NYC?

Calico Sky said...

My goodness. What on eath are they going to do about this? You can't live in fear of letting Olive out. Can you ring them when their dog barks??
I'm totally stumped!

Amy said...

That is crazy! I so wish you could move somewhere else.

Patricia said...

LOL...To "insanemommy"...sure we have dogs in NYC, but there's so much noise here that nobody even HEARS dogs barking or cares!! ;)

Julia said...

Weird neighbors are the pits! I have one, so I know first hand the kind of crap you're talking about. I'm just amazed that they're keeping at this though. Are you "allowed" to confront them with their allegations? I'd have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

Rebecca said...

WOW! I hope you did not get in trouble in the end, especially since their dogs bark! I recently had someone report me to the sheriff for a driving violation I certainly don't remember committing! $312 based on someone else's word! So I feel your pain!

Stephanie said...

Are you freaking kidding me?! What the hell? Seriously. Have you spoken with your neighbors since this happened? Do they know you KNOW it was them who have been calling? Did you tell the police that THEIR dogs bark constantly. I would be worried for little Olives safety at this point.

kitchu said...

I'm your NUMBER ONE WITNESS TO HOW UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY EFFING NORMAL YOUR DOG IS!!!!!!! I AM FUMING ANGRY ABOUT THIS!!!!!! Katy, Olive almost never barks when she's outside, weirdly, usually just from inside and BRIEFLY- SO BRIEFLY- like for SECONDS, maybe the longest might be a MINUTE,but that's a HUGE STRETCH... always it's at appropriate times- doorbell, unusual truck outside, etc... garbage man, etc... AND NEVER AT NIGHT. OH i am ANGRY ANGRY ANGRY.

fourlittlehawks said...

YIKES, that is unbelievable! The whole thing is insane, but the three police cars?? That is just plain out of the Twilight Zone.
Where I live, you have to submit video evidence to animal control of the offending dog barking for an extended period of time (at least 10 minutes straight). They don't send out officers with no evidence other than one person's word. There has to be some sort of complaint you can file, they can't be allowed to continue this harassment!!
~ Jen

Cavatica said...

That is truly weird.