17 August 2007

My very own PSA...



Bad news for baby bottle manufacturers, Avent & Dr Browns. I received an email alert the other day about toxicity dangers in clear plastic bottles. The authors of 'Baby Bargains' Alan & Denice Fields had recommended both of these bottles in past publications but the evidence is in that there is 'some concern' for the health of our children if we use these bottles. This is such a shame, I love both brands and recommend them to my clients(especially Dr Browns for reflux babies), the article is promoting to throw out ALL your bottles and replace them with opaque plastic or glass. There is a clear plastic bottle on the market that does not contain the harmful chemical, but it is quite pricey. I'd stick with the cheaper brands or drop-ins until Avent & Dr Brown make some serious changes!

I will work on posting a link to the articles in the LA times and the FDA links, but for now, seriously consider changing your bottles or if you are looking to get baby bottles for your child, do some research on BFA's and plastics that are coded #7.

For those who need to know more about BFA free bottles, here is a manufacturer of glass & BFA free bottles and sippy cups, be warned, they are not cheap.



www.newbornfree.com

3 comments:

Lauren said...

That is very interesting!

Maia said...

Good to know- as a cancer surviver I am one of those who avoids eating out of (and particularly heating) plastic containers. I may stick to glass.

Calico Sky said...

I worry more nad more about toxins...I am AMAZED at the number of people who microwave bottles even though ALL the books and MOST of the bottles actually have warnings...sigh, they are there for a reason.
How did you get the fundraising along the side of the blog?
I'm sorry I didnt check on your blog in a long time. We had some nice email chats (about being expats living in a new country) and then I kept loosing your blog. Can I add you to my blog roll so that I don't lose you anymore??