25 September 2007

Chinese Moon Festival - 'abridged version'


Well okay, we tried. First off I decided to find mooncakes, so I drove 40 minutes to an Asian food store that was 'sold out', no problem, I picked up a few things that we can't find in our regular store, so the trip wasn't entirely for naught. If you are a Kiwi or an Aussie...I found MILO!!!! Can you believe it!

Then we decided we'd make our version of moon cookies...our neighbour Kristine makes these disgustingly delicious thumbprint cookies with a Reeses peanut butter mini in the middle...I know, it's awful, but it's delicious, so I asked how to make them...easy enough but I didn't want to have to buy a mini muffin pan just to make them so I scrapped the idea entirely!

We decided to eat Chinese food then go to Caribou coffee and have a 'moon fluffy'...okay, that's lame, but we were looking for ANYTHING moon-like to emphasize that we hadn't forgotten! Piper was pretty stoked to have not only a fluffy (kids cocoa) but that she got to have a chocolate covered pretzel too! Sorry mooncakes, chocolate wins over lotus paste!

It's pretty cloudy in Minneapolis today, we spotted the moon for a mere 2 seconds before it retreated behind it's cloud cover...maybe next year!

We did read 'round is a mooncake' and 'Papa, please get the moon for me'...that'll just have to do it. Next year we'll try harder!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello, I will be back to read more! Happy Moon Festival, we didn't even get to see the moon tonight here in Michigan! We did have moon cakes though! They are a bit different but Myah loves them! Your blog looks beautiful!

OziMum said...

LOL! WE went to our Spring Moon Festival - and saw the moon about 3 times as it was cloudy here too!!!

Woo Hoo! Milo! Piper can get a taste of a "real" chocolate drink?!!!

Sheri said...

I love what you did to celebrate the Moon Festival! It was probably just as well that the moon cakes were sold out, because the treats you made sound delicious.

Your website looks great! Isn't Danielle the greatest?