22 April 2009

NOI am faced with yet another school bus issue. Piper was due to go on a field trip in a couple of weeks, and as per our previous arrangement I had decided to go along as a parent helper, but also I would drive her in our car. Yesterday I was told I wouldn't be able to bring Paisley along as I have done in the past because the venue has a pretty strict 'numbers' policy and we would be exceeding that if siblings came along. Okay, I get that, but it leaves me in a difficult position. Piper cannot travel on a school bus per our commitment to her safety, and I don't have a babysitter for Paisley...so.....the only solution is to take Piper out of school for the day. She'll miss out on the field trip, but I will take her to the zoo instead. This sort of thing sucks.
If they could make school buses safer, I'd be a little more apt to let her ride, until then she has a chauffeur, me.

7 comments:

Yoli said...

My children will never ride in one of those things either. So what if they miss a field trip? Don't even feel the tiniest bit of guilt.

Patricia said...

I am SOOOOOOO with ya, girlfriend!!! It does stink, but you are doing exactly what I would do! In fact, Kiara missed ice skating lessons at Central Park in the winter because it meant the kids getting there by school bus, sans parents...no, no way...I took her skating myself.

What must we do to get these school buses & drivers up to snuff??!!

LaLa said...

I get so nervous about this too! Annslee does go on field trips but since she is 4 she goes on the preschool bus which has carseats..honestly I still don't like it though...

Joan said...

My daughter takes a bus to her ECSE classes. Because she was under 4 when she started they used the over the seat harness. It attaches to the seat of the bus and then attaches to the child like a life vest. I requested that her IEP be updated to keep her in the harness even after the age of 4. Its not perfect, but its something.

Anonymous said...

It is so insane that they do not have seatbelts on buses. It is just nuts.

Carrie said...

I don't allow my children to ride the bus- Mya missed out on one of the school trips because they said I could go drvie my own car but Mya had to be on the bus-what ever people-I had a bus slam on the brakes when I was a kid, My brother hit the front of the seat and knock two teeth out-the bus driver sent him home with a dirty rag-after that My Mom drove us and I do the same for my kids!

Barbara said...

I have to tell my 7 yos EVERY morning "I want to see you buckle up immediately when you get on the bus and sit down." Even with seat belts, buses drive me crazy. If they were in my car, I'd get a ticket if they weren't in their booster seats with a 3 point seatbelt.