08 April 2009

Seeping Beauty

No...that isn't a typo...it looks like I never wipe her face, nice nose crustaceans and is that leftover chocolate milk from lunch...what the heck? Paisley has been FIGHTING against naps for a few months now, and NO...I am not giving in that easily, she NEEDS her naps...I NEED her naps! I used to do a lot of sleep consults as a Nanny/Doula and the one thing I told my clients above all else...sleep is a LEARNED SKILL...and it is our job to TEACH our children the skill that they will take with them into adulthood. I don't believe it when people tell me their 2 year old doesn't need naps or doesn't need 10+ hours sleep a night...it's just not true. What is true is that we as adults sometime slip into what is EASIEST rather than what is BEST...and I'm not immune to mistakes.

Here she is, sacked out on the sofa in the basement...watching Yo Gabba Gabba...

p.s. note the nice scratches on her face...what did I say about my girls being boisterous!

6 comments:

Michele said...

I agree. Kids need their sleep. I just wish ours wouldn't fight us so much on that issue.

Calico Sky said...

Bless her, she is simply adorable!

Carrie said...

Yes we have had the same thing here with Andrew-3 but still needs a nap. He falls asleep if he is still and then stays up till midnight! I have done everything to get him to take a nap no luck! What a very cute picture!
Hugs
Carrie

Maia said...

Gosh, she is SOOOOOOO beautiful! Her hair's really growing. I just want to squeeze her.

James Michael said...

Yes, sleep is a must for them and us. You are my sleep expert. Although I haven't done the best job. They do get 12+ most nights and naps. I just wish they didn't need security objects to sleep. But, they are still young, right??

tiffany said...

Yep. Three kiddos here, ages 4, almost 5 and 6. All sleep 11-12 hours a night PLUS 2 hour naps. And I usually have to WAKE them up after 2 hours or they would go longer. Around here we play hard and sleep hard. Works for everyone...specially the mama. :)