18 January 2008


do carseats expire?
according to BRITAX, yes they do! Honestly, I had no idea! I should know, and I feel bad that I didn't do more research before offering to buy a friend's older model Britax Marathons. According to the Britax website, carseats reach their expiration six years post manufacture date! This is especially so if the carseats have been used in 'extreme' climates...be that the heat of Texas or the subzero temps of Minnesota or Vermont! So...what do I do with two seemingly good carseats in good condition? Will anywhere accept them as donations? They still have almost a year of 'life' left in them, but I don't know where I could take them. Of course, my wonderful friend who sent them was as surprised as me, and she just wants me to donate them to a charity like 'success by six', or headstart. Of course I'll cover her shipping costs, and I feel bad that she shipped them all the way from Massachusetts, but when I called Britax to order a new cover the lady told me about the expiry date...and I kinda admit I balked a little. Precious cargo people, precious cargo. So, I found a website that had the Marathon on sale and I bought it. Great, because I have now spent $300 buying a seat I could have paid $219 for. Awesome.
Upside is, for all you parents in the market for a new carseat, I hear Britax seats will be HUGELY on sale come February! At least someone can get a bargain!
For more in for on carseat expiration's check out your manufacturers websites! Hand me downs are great, but for some things it's better to be safe than sorry.

No comments: