03 November 2007

Hayley's book club



I love this book! It is fast becoming my favorite book of all time. Alright, you got me, the HP series are my all time faves but they are fiction and this is not. This book is a must for anyone, not just those interested in China. This is a story that spans three generations through tragic and tumultuous times in China, a story of unimaginable hardships and oppression during the Cultural Revolution and the tyrannical dictatorship of Chairman Mao. The author has given the world such a gift of insight into life in China in the past century by writing this wonderful memoir of her family.

p.s. as noted by my friend Patricia in NYC..this book is banned in China!!

6 comments:

Patricia said...

I read this during our wait for referral...my ALL TIME fave!! And I read a LOT!

I'm saving it for Kiara...I already know I want to read it again!

Patricia said...

OH! And this book happens to be banned in China!

Good thing I finished it before we traveled! ;)

Snowflowers Mum said...

Mao is next on my list...same author! I knew it was banned...such a shame...one day the people of China will know that they have been cheated of life's basic human rights.

Hayley

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I haven't read this book for the longest time - I read this one long before even coming to the US or adopting from China... it was a good book... should pull it out again... sorry I haven't dropped by - I have your name on my toolbar but it kept telling me you hadn't updated... we were going to go to on NZ America's Cup Yacht in Bahamas to race... alas the hurricane approached. Take care...

Maia said...

Oh good...one I haven't read yet. This'll be next.

"M2" said...

oh my,
We had an LID group book club and this was our first and only book
None of us could follow it, most of us were falling asleep
6 months later and not one person has finished it.
sorry... does it get easier to read the second half.
maybe we're stupid :)