06 November 2007

Quote of the Day













After reading the book 'The waiting Child' this poem seemed very poignant to me. Mike and I made the decision to adopt a waiting child, possibly a toddler as old as two and a half. Adopting a toddler brings with it a myriad of challenges but we are willing and able to embrace a child who has not only a medical condition, but who has seen more pain and hurt in it's short life than we can imagine. There are so many beautiful children out there that need families to love them, regardless of their age. While we weren't ready to adopt out of birth order or a much older child, many toddlers wait..and like the poem says, despite the hard reality, there is sometimes hope. The images above are from a beautiful book of photographs taken of children residing in orphanages in China...a good portion of the proceeds benefit a charity that helps those who wait.


The Waiting Child

I saw you meet
your child today
You kissed your
baby joyfully
And as you walked
away with her
I played pretend
you'd chosen me.

I'm happy for the baby,
yet
Inside I'm aching miserably
I want to plead as you go by,
"Does no-one want a child of three?"

I saw you meet
your child today
In love with her
before you met
And as I watched
you take her out
I knew it wasn't
my turn yet.

I recognize you
from last year!
I knew I'd seen your
face before!
But you came for a
second babe.
Does no-one want
a child of four?

I saw you meet
your child today
But this time there was
something new
A nurse came in
and took MY hand
And then she gave
my hand to you.

Can this be true?
I'm almost six!
And there are
infants here you see?
But then you kissed me
and I knew
The child you chose
this time was me.

by Debbie Bodie

3 comments:

Gail said...

I just love that poem. I wish I could afford to go back and adopt an older waiting child.
Gail

Maia said...

Stop it...just stop making me cry!! I just read that LWB blog where the older children were singing the song about having a mother. I'm a huge sap about that kind of thing, and these days pretty much everything makes me cry...

Calico Sky said...

I am crying my eyes out..

I hope my little guy isn't a waiting child forever....