07 November 2007

Quote of the Day



There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots. The other is wings. ~Hodding Carter, Jr.

I like this quote, even though it is near impossible for many adoptive parents to give the gift of knowledge regarding their childs biological 'roots' we can however endeavour to find out as much as we can, share ours with them and grieve the loss of the unknown. We can make a lifebook to help understand life before us, yet we may never know the true identity and reasoning of birthparents so there will always be a piece of the puzzle that is missing. One thing we can give them is wings, and the grace to know when to let them fly!

3 comments:

tiffany said...

I love the quotes that you are posting.

I totally think we give our children roots. And wings.

I guess I think of roots as mostly a foundation. I mean I think it also includes their biological beginnings, but I think it's more the every day stuff. The family rituals, traditions, support and love are the roots. And with all of that, the wings will follow.

Carrie said...

I love that quote!

Calico Sky said...

I have always loved that saying!
Thanks for the reminder!